Saturday, August 24, 2013

End of Summer Preschool 2013

 We finished up week 9 and 10 of my summer preschool plans, and even though I had about 5 more weeks in store, I decided to call it good. 
We've spent the last few weeks enjoying ourselves and preparing for our move (in one week! yessss!). 
Week 9 was about Safety. My main purpose for choosing this topic was because we had never taught Hinder things like how to dial 911, how to get out of the house in case of a fire, etc. It was a good excuse to have some discussions about those issues while having fun and learning a little bit too. 
The main topics were safety at home, fire safety, and traffic safety. 
Some activities were...
Building a fire truck from geometric shapes
 Learning to read/recognize color words and follow directions
 Making a traffic light cookie with a graham cracker, chocolate frosting, and Dots candy.
 Fireman art project with watercolors and tissue paper. The straw/hose was Hinder's suggestion. (sorry it's sideways....couldn't get it right side up for the life of me!)
Our last week, Week 10, was about Measurement. This was a short week, since we went out of town for a long weekend. Our discussions were about types of measurement, why we measure, cooking together in the kitchen using measuring tools, and learning to use a ruler.
 H has always loved using tools of any kind, so he felt pretty cool using a grown up ruler.
Reflecting on the summer, I'm really glad I decided to do a structured, everyday preschool. Even if it's just at home, and even if it's just for H, I could tell he looked forward to this one-on-one time and benefited from our little lessons. And in addition, I feel like I could tackle doing home school preschool year round if another preschool situation isn't an option. For me, it was enjoyable and I used my degree and  my brain in a little different way.
 I love the freedom of being a stay-at-home mom!

No comments: