Sunday, March 29, 2015

Dalyn and Devon Come to Visit: Week 1

 Yay! Visitors! Our favorite!
My sisters Dalyn and Devon came for two weeks, and we had a blast. I hadn't seen Devon since we left for Maine in August 2012. And it was awesome to see Dalyn before she leaves for her mission in Mexico. Love having sisters! 
We had so much fun! I love doing historic and girly sight seeing with people who love it too! (Riley's not so keen on old cemeteries or churches) 
The first thing we did the day they arrived was have a big, British style feast and watch a marathon of Downton Abbey. I hadn't seen any of the recent season's and Dalyn and Dev are fans. That Mary!? She's. the.worst. We ventured into the British cuisine unknown, trying out Stilton pear tarts, Yorkshire and Christmas puddings, and beef wellington for the first time. It was mainly to get us in the mood for our big day trip to Newport, Rhode Island to tour the Newport Mansions. I died, it was so beautiful. 
We toured the Breakers and Marble House and floated on Cloud 9 all the way to Salem, Mass. Itw as pouring rain, but we still got out of my van and trudged around the streets looking at The House of the Seven Gables, 
The Salem Witch Museum and witch trials burying ground. 
The gloomy weather sort of added to the spooky atmosphere of the place. 
It was fun to see filming location for "Hocus Pocus". Recognize this Town Hall building? 
This was Devon's first time to Maine, or New England for that matter, so we did the usual Portland, Maine things. Even though we have done them a dozen times, it's still so fun to me to show off this beautiful place where we live. The Headlight...
Frigid walks to neighboring beaches...
L.L. Bean and the aquarium bubble

 The Prouts Neck Cliff walk...

Scratch Bakery and Willard Beach...
(p.s. this mini carrot cake was, like, the best mini carrot cake I've ever eaten. Also, Hinder pulls off the "disgusted with me" look so well) 
More frigid times at Two Lights State Park
Fun fact about this photo- After this was taken, about 15 seconds later the tide came in and this rock was entirely covered. Barely made the cut! 
No visit with family would be complete without late night games, and silliness, and sister selfies. 
 Since it wasn't beautiful spring weather, and our outdoor activities were limited, we decided to spice it up one night and pull out the oil paint and canvases. Bob Ross led us in a mountain lake painting...at 10 p.m. If you ever want a case of the giggles, watch Mr. Ross at night.
 "Happy trees" 
"Happy Little Cabin" 


 They are such good aunties to my kids! Dalyn surprised Hinder with a travel checkerboard, and that came in handy big time at Stake Conference, and on our day trip car rides. 

 And Devon gave in and rode the carousel with them when I refused. What a good sport!  
 Another big highlight of this week was going to the Moscow City Ballet. They came to Portland to perform Swan Lake and it was perfect! It was such a blast, I'm so glad we went! I was in awe the entire time. It was only the 2nd professional ballet I've seen! 
 And I have to include this last picture of Ledger, waiting in the lobby while I had the oil changed in my van. That's some serious reading. 















No comments: