Sunday, May 9, 2010

Beautiful Mothers

This post is definitely a tribute to my mothers. So it's going to be sappy and probably a little long. But I am learning that somethings just need to be recorded.
The problem is, I would need a full twenty-four hours to type a meaningful thank you to all the hundreds of wonderful women who have acted as mentors and examples for me.
When I think of teachers, aunts, cousins, friends, co-workers, and nieces...I could rave about these remarkable people to no end. And sisters! Devon, Lara, Davi, D'laney, Ainslee, Dalyn, Dakota, Mallory, Sidnee, and Natalie! You're all so amazing! There is something specific about each one of you that I adore. Thanks for being a part of my little life.
But it is called Mother's Day for a reason. And I am one lucky girl to have fabulous mothers to look to and lean on.
My Mother-in-law, Lorie Hurst. This woman is a never-ending fountain of generosity. She's always giving of her time and resources to others. She gives to her immediate and extended family continually. She gives to Riley, Hinder, and I often.
She remembers everyone. I'm amazed by the friendships she keeps through out the years and years. She's an example to me in many ways.
Thank you for raising a son that values family and knows how to work. Thank you for teaching him to love others and stay clean and worthy to serve the Lord on a mission, take me to the temple, and exercise his priesthood responsibilities! Thank you for loving my son so much. He's a lucky boy to have such a supportive grandma! We love you!

My Grammy, my mom's mother. Carolyn Anne. She's so southern and beautiful and fiery. I love her quiet and dignified spirit. She teaches me grace, practicality, and service. Even though we didn't get to see her very often growing up, I always loved my Grammy. Even the fact that we were to call her "Grammy" and never "Grandma" tells so much about her! She's beautiful inside and out. She's strong. It takes a remarkable woman to leave her family and travel far away for her convictions.
I hope that some of her awesomeness is genetic. Thank you for being someone that I can always look to. Thank you for sacrificing so much to live the gospel. I love you!

My Grandma Killian. My father's mother. She's the grandma I grew up with. This is a remarkable woman. She's raised 11 faithful and happy children. She nurtures dozens of grandchildren. I am just one granddaughter out of her nearly fifty grandchildren. Even so, every time I see her she always makes the time to talk to me. I wonder if she knows how special she is.
She inspires to me always be anxiously engaged in something good. She teaches me to be a more supportive and steadfast mother and wife. She values family more than things. She has the ability to make people feel comfortable in her home.
Thank you, Grandma for raising my dad and being my grandma. I'm honored to be a Killian.



And my momma. Lisa Annette could have done anything with her life. She could have sang in operas, travelled the world with her talents, or earned any advanced college degree. And she gave all of that up to be our mother. And now that I'm starting out on this journey of motherhood, I realize what a HUGE sacrifice she made to stay home, day after day after day, to tend to the needs of all nine of her children. Thank you!
My mother created a home that was full of good work, delicious smells, beauty, music, lessons to be learned, crafts to be made, and many prayers. Growing up, I took it for granted. Now I'm trying to create a fraction of what she did, and I realize that homemaking is hard work. She's a master at it.
So, thank you mom for all you do and did. It hasn't gone unnoticed. You're my hero and the standard by which I measure myself. If at the end of my life I can look back and believe that was one third of what you were to me to my children, I'll be a success.
I certainly do love you. Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Katy said...

You have such amazing women in your life and I'm so grateful to have met a good number of them... they really are fabulous!

And, you, my dear are wonderful!!! You make motherhood look effortless and graceful. You are such a great example to me and I love ya for it. Hinder is the best example of how awesome you are at motherhood... he's such a smart and FUN kid-- totally sweet and kind. He's being taught the good stuff!

Happy Mother's Day, D-Money.... can't wait for you to have 10 more Hinders and Hinderettes!!!