Saturday, September 17, 2011

Motherhood

Sometimes being a mom really stinks. A few nights ago, we had one of those times.

Disclaimer: This is not brief.

In the past few months, Hinder has made some major changes. Two of those changes have been being potty trained and moving into a regular twin bed. No more cage. The combination of these two developments have thrown a wrench into our bedtime routine.

Well...a few nights ago was the worst. The kid would NOT stay in bed.

Any mother out there will relate to this kind of night.

I put in him bed at 8:30. He came to say hi at 9. Half past nine, he needs a drink. Then he cried for me to sleep with him at 10. Then he fell asleep. About an hour, I finally fell asleep. An hour later, a little figure opens my door and needs help in the bathroom, and after the bathroom he wants to rock-a-bye, and a snuggle and about fifteen other things.

At this point my patience is wearing thin.

Then about 2 a.m., he needs to go to the bathroom AGAIN. Dragging this pregnant body out of bed is HARD. But Riley needed to be up at 4 a.m. and I didn't have the heart to wake him. So again, we did the potty and the fight back to sleep.

After collapsing back in bed, my sweet husband's alarm went off at 4:10. I'm awake again and annoyed.

Then the clincher. 5:30 a.m. rolls around and again, H needs help in the potty. (the poor dear battled a little digestive troubles this week...as if you can't tell) I beg him to do it himself, but that leads to a mini-meltdown, and I quickly conclude that getting up and helping him will be much faster than encouraging independence at this point. After the potty he wants a cup of milk. In my exhausted state, I don't have energy to argue. If the kid had asked for a Dr. Pepper with a pinch of lemon and a bendy straw, I would have done it. So I get the blasted cup of milk, bring it to him, the end right? Wrong. The second I close the door, he's whining again because the lid is clogged and he can't drink. Next thing I know, he bit on the lid in frustration, causing the entire contents of the cup to fall directly on his face. Milk seeped through all the blankets, sheets, and down to the mattress pad.

And then I came undone. Tears of frustration and tiredness streamed down my cheeks as I tried not to utter curse words too loudly. I pulled him out of bed and stripped his clothes, stripped the bed, and plopped him in the tub. He was crying hysterically that his milk had "bit him in the eyes". ( I guess his eyes were wide open when the flood of milk hit). Twenty minutes later, he was clean, new blankets were found, and we were back in bed.

8:00 a.m. we were up for the day.

That's when I goggled the process of getting your tubes tied.


And if that's all motherhood was, I would be done.

But then, just a few hours later, I find the little guy doing this in the living room.


He's fixin' his bike just like daddy does. Look at that concentration! He informed me that his "telephones" (headphones) are to protect his ears from the power of his tools. And he needs goggles to protect his eyes.


For about an hour, he patiently screwed with the screwdriver and unscrewed with the "pullen wrench" (open ended wrench). This was very serious business.

And I just watched in awe and wonder, because I never taught him any of this.


And these are the moments that make motherhood magical.

I feel like the luckiest person alive to watch another human being unfold from birth through adulthood. To watch discover another persons talents and natural abilities. It's an absolute miracle. And it's precious.

My goodness, I'm just so grateful that I have a Father in Heaven who sends me horrible nights when life is getting to easy and comfortable. And just as readily sends beautiful, sweet moments when life gets too hard. That's why I'll keep doing this birth/raising children thing over and over. Because I'm not doing it by myself.

Giveaway!!

I've never done this, but I want to do it today.

Leave a comment with your address and I'll send you my favorite book for getting through tough parents days/weeks/months/years.

And I'll throw in another tried and true frustration fighter.

Lindor chocolate.

Both will change your life.

(and if you'd rather email your info, that's cool too. destryhurst@gmail.com)

4 comments:

Tina Braegger said...

oh my goodness Destry, you are seriously awesome!!! This sounds like my week!! haha! That is so great that you can see the good in it and still want to have more kids :) Just remember that no matter what you still are an amazing mom and that we all have our faults!

Kiya said...

That was beautiful! Destry, your blog is always so fun to read. Sounds like a rough time. I just started potty training Sailor a week ago and HOLY heck...just that alone was terrible! Terrible until that first time she went in the potty and light up and jumped off the potty dancing! haha that was my "Motherhood Moment" too, and I'm glad to know all moms have it rough sometimes! ;) Thanks for your story!

Sidnee & Stephen said...

This was inspiring. Thank you for being such a great example to me!! I will need that book when its my turn! I love you, and I sure love that sweet little stink. Those pictures were seriously precious. Thank you for sharing. You are amazing!

Katy said...

ahhh... you're a GOOD woman, but that's no surprise there! Thanks for reminding me that we really are so lucky to be able to "watch another human being unfold from birth through adulthood" (well said). Sometimes I take that blessing for granted (especially on rough nights or middle-of-the-store temper tantrums or sassy moments or emotional meltdowns or when they're sick and vomiting all over you or when they refuse to wipe their nose and decide to use their tongues instead... RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU... barf.... oh the list goes on!)

ps. those pics of H hard at work are awesome, he's totally his father's son!