Day 2: Laie
On day two of our Hawaiian adventure, we boarded the express bus to Laie. It was a lengthy bus ride, but we saw the entire beautiful windward coast. It was so tropical and secluded compared to the bustle of Honolulu. Our destination was the Polynesian Cultural Center. After hearing plenty of buzz about that place, I still had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised!
The dancing and shows were beautiful and every employee was kind and friendly.

It was like stepping back in time watching the demonstrations and learning about how any Polynesian cultures live. They are so resourceful! I could learn a think or two about conservation from them.

We all got excited about the ukulele lessons. I suppose that because it's a tiny instrument I underestimated how difficult it would be. Let's just say ukulele performances won't be in my future. Just ask the man sitting next to me during the lesson! He could barely contain his laughter at my horrendous playing.

On day two of our Hawaiian adventure, we boarded the express bus to Laie. It was a lengthy bus ride, but we saw the entire beautiful windward coast. It was so tropical and secluded compared to the bustle of Honolulu. Our destination was the Polynesian Cultural Center. After hearing plenty of buzz about that place, I still had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised!
The dancing and shows were beautiful and every employee was kind and friendly.
It was like stepping back in time watching the demonstrations and learning about how any Polynesian cultures live. They are so resourceful! I could learn a think or two about conservation from them.
We all got excited about the ukulele lessons. I suppose that because it's a tiny instrument I underestimated how difficult it would be. Let's just say ukulele performances won't be in my future. Just ask the man sitting next to me during the lesson! He could barely contain his laughter at my horrendous playing.
We hitched a ride on the city bus back to the city. A sweet, but dozy, Korean woman fought falling asleep the entire ride. Her bobbing head kept landing on my shoulder and she would profusely apologize. I should have just offered it to her.
By the time we arrived, my lunch of macadamia nut ice cream wasn't cutting it. I was desperate for food. I was that American sprinting through the food court toward the Chinese buffet.
Day 3: Pearl Harbor
I loved this day. A lot. Honestly, I was surprised by how moving and emotional the experience was.
Pearl Harbor is beautiful. We decided on the audio tour and I would HIGHLY recommend doing that every time. Every display and exhibit meant a lot more when listening to actual veterans retelling their experiences.
It's hard to believe all that violence and disaster happened in such a serene place.
I took roughly eleventy billion photos, but I decided to spare you. A few of the most remember things were...
Looking into the water and seeing the actual USS Arizona sunk in the water, oil still leaking into the harbor.
Looking into the water and seeing the actual USS Arizona sunk in the water, oil still leaking into the harbor.
And President Roosevelt's original speech, still in the rough draft stages. Complete with slash marks, edits, and revisions. Very powerful.
Nowadays, I'm not always happy with my country's choices, but visiting this memorial made me so proud to be an American.
Before heading back to the beach, we ate at Schooners overlooking the bay.
Scallops, shrimp, calamari, and sole. Yum.
We were just in time to take a quick nap on the sand before catching a gorgeous sunset at Ala Mauna beach.



1 comment:
Looks like Soooo much fun! Destroy you are so skinny too! Check you out! Can't believe you just had a baby...
Post a Comment