I have never anticipated Thanksgiving as much as I did this year. Not only did it mean turkey, partying, and Black Friday shopping, it also meant TIME with Riley! He was out of school Tuesday at noon, and you better believe we had the entire week planned out!
There were parks to be discovered and RC helicopters to be flown. I'll never forget Riley's flying mishap that ended with H getting the heli flown into the side of his head. Which was almost followed by my mama-bear instinct to smash that ridiculous toy to a trillon, irreparable pieces.
Riley is so lucky I happened to have a tiny bit of self-restraint in that moment.
(Hinder still smiling after getting nailed in the head- Riverton Community Center)
Vyla and I generally stay away from the dangerous action. She's a girl after my own heart.
(Vyla- Payson Park by Back Cove)
Turkey day was spent playing ultimate Frisbee, cooking up a storm of savory dishes in the kitchen, and Skyping with our much-loved, much-missed families.
A couple in our ward organized a dinner for all the grad school/resident students and their families. We shared a lot of laughs and good convo. I didn't snap a single picture, but the place was decked out! Gorgeous linens and centerpieces added so much festivity to the ambiance.
Here's our little family thanksgiving turkey. For the month of November, we added "thankful feathers" to our once-bald bird. After a couple of weeks, it was a bit crowded.
My favorite feather was Hinder's own drawing of his blue polka dot blankie.
We decided to forgo the crazy, midnight, doorbuster Black Friday. Instead, I went to a few favorite stores throughout the day. Nothing beats the people watching on Black Friday. Chaos reigns.
The deals I scored rounded out my holiday shopping. Unless you count the Cyber-Monday deals I just couldn't pass up today. Woo hoo for being done a month early!
(Vyla making herself comfortable on a Walmart shelf)
What does the end of Thanksgiving celebrations mean? Christmas decorations!
Our cross-country move required that we scale down in a major way. Christmas decor was no exception. We had one box of Christmas and the tree. But honestly, I kind of like it this year. The set up was absolutely effortless, and it has left a lot more room for DIY decor and new traditions.
We copied this advent idea I saw my mom do a few years ago.
You just string up 25 socks clothes pinned to a decorative ribbon. Each day until Christmas, the kiddos take one down and get to enjoy the surprise inside.
I chose to put one piece of the magnetic nativity scene in each sock, as well as a little Christmas snack or play dough or painting page or whatever. It's been the easiest thing and it's surprisingly cute with all the homely, mismatched socks dangling down the stairwell.
Hinder helped with the tree a lot more this year. Little children make Christmas so magical!
The smallest things excite him to death.
For instance, we drew Secret Santa names at the end of fhe tonight. This is our first year doing it in our little family, so we explained the concept to Hinder. He couldn't stop giggling he was so elated by all of it. He drew Vyla's name, and read the little slip of paper himself. I was surprised he didn't say it out loud, but as I put him to bed, he whispered to me that he had "V". Then he pressured me to tell him what name I had drawn, and giggled some more when I wouldn't tell him.
So sweet.
It was such a lovely vacation.




No comments:
Post a Comment