Thursday, May 8, 2014

Riley Turned 30 & Other Springtime Things

 Turning 30 was psyching Riley out, so I came up with this plan to have 30 surprises for him that would make him happy and help him feel young again. It was actually a lot of fun for me to watch him get excited over and over again, and not know when the next surprise would happen! 
The trick was to make each 'prize' personal, something he would really care about. We had such a good time! A few of the prizes included...
*Hand massage*
*Staying up playing his favorite card game while jamming to his favorite play list*
*Rollerskating and rollerblading*
*Jumping on a trampoline*
(we don't own one anymore, and Riley misses is fiercely! Thank you to our kind friends who let us bombard their backyard)
 
 *Vacuuming out his car and stocking it with his favorite treats.*
*Favorite gourmet dinner- Shrimp fettuccine and stuffed tomatoes*
*New flip flops. His old ones were trashed*
*"I'd Rather be in Idaho" shirt*
*Homemade cards from the kids*
*Treasure hunt completely organized by Hinder, including a map and 2 dollar treasure he pulled from his own piggy bank*
 *Surprise date without kids to a Mexican place he's been wanting to try*
* Letters of love from friends and relatives*
*His favorite German chocolate cake*
 
 *Finally got rid of my file cabinet he hates and has had to move 6 times*
*The last surprises were a new phone, cover, and screen protectors! He had no idea. It took a lot of self-control to not spill the beans*

In other news, I think spring has finally arrived on the Prouts Neck.:) It just depends on the day. 
 
I'm sad to be saying goodbye to this beautiful place in just three weeks. The last year has sped by. 
 
The kids and I love our walks along Winslow Homer road and always seem to find a new gem along the way. Isn't this church adorable?
 The kids are all at a pretty fund age. Sure, they bicker and cry daily, but in general they like each other and are happy for the most part. 
Hinder at 5.5 and Ledger at 6 months. Cute, clone brothers.
Hinder and I have reinstituted our weekly date nights on Tuesdays when dad works super late. He always weasels his way into sleeping in my bed. I love these years when we can be a little carefree with bedtime, even on a weeknight. 
 Vyla is sweet and sour, but she is pretty hilarious these days. She says the funniest things and I wish I could remember how her two and a half year old voice sounds forever.
 
 Riley's dreaded 2nd year of Pharmacy school will be over in a little more than 24 hours. It can't come soon enough. It's been a l-o-n-g year for me, but I've gotten a bit better at holding down the fort with 3 littles, and keeping a regular routine going. Here the kids are during our f.h.e one Monday night. (The lesson was about our feelings and how to properly express them. Specifically anger. haha)
  Ledger was a good sport and modeled some tutus I made for a baby shower the other day. He's the happiest kid. I'm in trouble with this one. :)  It's a little too easy to give him anything he wants.
 We walked down the neighborhood beach on the very first warm day of spring. It was little pretty chilly, but just being outside near the waves and sand was refreshing.
 I'm so looking forward to a couple of less-scheduled weeks to enjoy Maine as a family before we head out on the longest road-trip of all time!

2 comments:

The Lamoreaux Family said...


What's up next??? Back to Rexburg I hope! Jeremy still misses his buddy Hinder!

Katy said...

I'm falling behind with the posts, but I'm loving your bday surprises for Riley... you're awesome, marry me? :) I bet he had the BEST day ever, despite turning 30. And the kids... man I REALLY miss seeing them (especially hearing V and her adorably gravelly cute voice)