Wednesday, March 11, 2015

February Photo Dump

We've survived another New England winter (dare I say...it's only March 11th). Looking back through my phone pictures, it's evident how noneventful the past few months have been. Week after week we were pounded with snow storms and blizzard which equals days on end stuck inside. We each find our ways to keep busy. 
Ledger's days pretty much look like this...
He's growing and talking more and more. He loves to say "no" to anything I ask, even if he agrees. He loves his ba-ba and is such a good sleeper. 
He's a tough little bruiser, will push and pull and scream to be heard, but loves to cuddle mama and gets fiercely jealous is anyone else (read:Vyla) tries to get a cuddle too. He adores Hinder and will follow him around doing anything he suggests; laughing at anything he does. 
Ledgie carries around a 'ga-ga', any stuffed animal, all day. He wakes up with "mom! mom! mom! mom!" and immediately wants a peck of a kiss and "up!up!up!" (which actually means down) He's always on a mission, loves to two footed jump down the hall or down the stairs or off any ledge he encounters. He dances like a champ, but is shy in front of the camera. 

Miss Vyla is my best buddie around the house all day. She's so easy going and I appreciate it. She loves to color, draw, and pretend. She's got a wicked good imagination and can entertain herself easily for hours. She loves having her preschool friends over once a week to play and learn. The gym childcare playplace is her other favorite, and she asks every day if we're going there. 
 She tells me she loves me 62 times per day, and it's usually right before she wants to either a.) apologize for a mess she made that she wasn't supposed to b.) wants to ask for something she isn't supposed to. She's just the right amount of sassy and sweet, but when she does make a mistake I've never known a child to be more genuinely sorry. 
 She loves to do or build things and have me take pictures of her. Vyla says the funniest things right now. She's always encouraging everyone and telling us all how "awesome" our ideas are. She loves "piggy bank rides" (piggy back rides) and watching Wild Kratts and pretending to be "Kwis" (I always have to be Martin) and can spot "Happy Meals" (McDonalds) from a mile away.
 She's incredibly patient with her older brother, and lives to please him. Helping in the kitchen is her favorite. She falls and bonks into things ALL day everyday; she's SO extremely clumsy right now! But she's tough as nails and rarely cries about a bonk. I can't wait to be able to enroll her in gymnastics or dance to help her a little with coordination.  
 She's refused regular naps since she was about 18 months, but falls asleep nearly everyday right before it's time to pick Hinder up from school. This girl inherited her father's genes when it comes to waking up....one word, BEAST. If she falls asleep in the car, you better believe there is much moaning, groaning coming out of her when I have to wake her up. That's our Vyla! 
 Hinder is a busy guy with kindergarten all day everyday. We miss him, but it's for the best. He stays so busy and socializes every day. He loves library, and was ecstatic to have found Harry Potter 2 at the library a few weeks ago. He checked it out and I've been reading to him at nights. His imagination is insatiable. He remembers everything about animals and dinosaurs, and never, ever tires of talking about them. He loves to play any game on his dad's phone, especially one called Dino Hunt. During his February break, I bribed him with a trip to the Delorme Globe if he would memorize and recognize the 7 continents. He succeeded, but not without giving me plenty of grief. The other day he drew a picture of the experience in his school journal and drew accurate shapes (at a kindergarten level) for each continent. That made me feel better about the whole experience. 
 He's a terrific leader, and loves to take charge with his siblings and friends. The snow has been awesome for him this year, with several 10 foot high piles in our yard. They've had so much fun out there. I can watch them out of the big front window...on my couch...by my heater. 
He's doing karate once a week right now, and loves his new teacher. I love him too because he runs the boys the whole time. Hinder thinks he's a ninja. :) 
H has been working with us to memorize the Articles of Faith and help our family meet our goals of reading the Book of Mormon together. I'm always amazed at Hinder's memory. I can mention something one time, and he'll always remember and keep me accountable (as long as he's interested). As an incentive to reading, we have little celebrations each time we finish a book of the Book of Mormon. Hinder especially liked our 2 Nephi celebration of an indoor campout, complete with over-the-burner smores. 
 Riley's so busy, it's unreal. He's finishing his LAST (dare I say it?!?!) didactic semester at UNE and it's showing. Honestly...no one but himself, his study partners, myself, and God will ever know just how much time this man spends studying and truly sacrifices for his family. And he's not really the type to talk about it or seek the attention, but for the record, I APPRECIATE IT! :) He works hard. He plays hard too. All this snow hasn't been lost on him. You can bet his skis have seen powder this year, even if it's mostly been off our balcony onto homemade kickers. 
Ri always sets aside a night a week for the fam, and I think that's pretty outstanding. Last weekend, he met us at the local children's museum and helped me chase the kids around the place. Time with dad is their absolute favorite. 
He took me out for Valentine's Day to Sebago Brewing Co. and got me tickets to the Russian ballet coming to Portland next week. Swan Lake! What a babe! Love him forever! 
 As for me, a quick scan of my phone photos sums up what I've been doing for the last few weeks. 
 I guess when there are blizzards every other day and snow up to my waist, the only thing to do is cook, right? Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year were ample excuses to have some fun in the kitchen this past month. 
The rest of the time, I'm shuttling these cuties around...
 and trying to keep the few brain cells I have left operating with a little literature, black and white movies late at night, Trivia Crack competitions with my honey, and an online writing class I'm taking for recertification credits. It's not glamorous, but it's a good life and I love it. 

3 comments:

Katy said...

Catching up on your kids makes me so sad that I'm missing all the crazy times and so happy because I feel like I know them so well! I love these nuggets, miss em dearly! Love the photo dump. You're the best freaking mom in the universe, I love you for it all. Ps. Valentine's day gift from riley is amazing! Atta boy!

Katy said...

Catching up on your kids makes me so sad that I'm missing all the crazy times and so happy because I feel like I know them so well! I love these nuggets, miss em dearly! Love the photo dump. You're the best freaking mom in the universe, I love you for it all. Ps. Valentine's day gift from riley is amazing! Atta boy!

Katy said...

Why did I post twice? I'm a big dummy when it comes to blogs now... sorry!