Thursday, April 8, 2010

All About Dakota

My youngest sister Dakota is such a fireball. Our last few days in Ritzville we were able to watch a couple shining moments in her 6-year old life. It was my privilege.
First of all, she lost a tooth. I forgot how big of a deal this is to a kindergartner! The promise of a slight wiggle, the anticipation of pulling it out, and the excitement of reaping the rewards of the labor...it's poetic.

Devon had the honors of helping her yank the little gross thing out of her mouth. I love 6-year old Jack-O-Lantern grins. It's such a good age. Six year olds are so happy-go-lucky. It's contagious.



I just think this reaction is hilarious. The tooth fairy brought her cold, hard cash and she looks a little spooked. I guess the idea of a creepy person with wings climbing under your pillow to fetch your old tooth is a little weird.

This next series of pictures I call "Bronco Trot".

The Bronco Trot is a little hometown ritual where each grade level at Ritzville Grade School (K-8) is required to run around the schools, roughly one mile. They race. And the results basically determine your social standing for the remainder of the year. Okay, maybe not that dramatic...but close.

So anyway...Friday was the Bronco Trot. Dakota was a little nervous.


The kindergarten boys went first. And about 5 minutes later the girls went. She's the one in the bright pink coat. That coat made it very easy to spot her.



Despite her nerves, she started off strong, getting an early lead.



This is her at the last leg of the run. Hinder and I were cheering as she passed all but 4 of the boys!


She crossed the finish line first. Then she passed out on the ground panting. But the next part is the most exciting. After regaining her strength, she stood up and in a Rocky Balboa voice screamed "VICTORY IS MINE!" My hysterical laughter made it impossible to grab the camera to capture that moment.

1 comment:

WT said...

Love this story! Thanks for sharing!