Wednesday, March 30, 2011

King of Anything



I like this video. She tells 'em off with a sweet smile on her face. And isn't she just gorgeous?!


Day 8: A Song to Match Your Mood


I guess I'm feeling a little feisty today. Is that the word? Maybe independent. I just wanna do what I wanna do. Maybe it's hormones, or leftover teenaged angst.


Here's a side story. More like my rambling thoughts.

It might be a little deep,long, and incoherent. Just a warning.


Lately, I've been feeling a bit discontented with things. Not terribly unusual for me, since I generally fall into the terrible category of women who play the "I'll be happy when..." game. I'm just not okay with staying stagnant. And as a stay-at-home mom there isn't always a lot that proves I'm progressing in my life. I have a hard time with that.


Add to that the fact that I live with the MOST content guy to ever walk this earth. Whether I shower and apply makeup, or sit in my jams all day... same happy guy. If I make a three course gourmet meal or mac and cheese from the box, it makes no difference. He's pretty darn satisfied all the darn time.


So basically, we're polar opposites and it creates problems. Not for him, because he's always as happy as a clam. Just for me. Problems like feeling guilty for not being more content. (are you getting a glimpse into my overactive, over thinking moral mind?! It's a scary place....)


But then I read this story sent to me in an email. It totally applied.


"One of the worse things we do i s compare ourselves to others. Just last week in Relief Society, I said to Wendi during the opening song, "Is Kathleen as pleasant as she looks?" Wendi said "Totally." I said, "She oozes this amazing angelic glow." And then I thought, "I want that." Some of you who know me know that one of the deepest desires of my heart is to be sweet.


Not too long ago, I was thinking about my parents, who happy to be very sweet. I was mindlessly putting on my makeup and kind of pondering and praying. How did I miss that sweetness that my parents exemplify? Heavenly Father, how did I not get any of that?!

At that moment, I received probably the most profound revelation I have ever received. A voice spoke to my mind and to my heart and said, "Sweet people can't do the work I need you to do. I have work for sweet people, and I have work for you. I gave you that grit so you can do what I need you to do. It's a gift. BUT...you have GOT to learn to temper it in your relationships."


So I read this, replace the word 'sweet' with 'content', and it's a total answer to my conundrum. And I think that if I can direct my life in the way the Lord would want me, I can do some good with my 'gift' of wanting to change and progress for the better.


And in no way is this specific to me. I firmly believe we've all got our own gifts that allow us to perform as an instrament in the hands of God in our own specific ways.


I think I just lost sight of that for a moment and now I remember again. And I feel so happy to remember who I am again.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! Thanks for posting this! Like you my hubby and I are polar opposites on some things. This article totally opened my eyes!

Jon, Julee, Maddie, & Dane said...

Thanks for sharing the email, what a wonderful reminder. I will probably need to read again next month though :), ugh I hate hormones.