Friday, April 26, 2013

Out of the Woods









Every winter, I feel like we're all clinging to the last shreds of sanity by March. Months of being stuck inside, in a too-small apartment, no energy release for the kids, too much whining, baking, movie watching, and quarreling is a recipe for seasonal-mom-depression. And right when I'm about to check myself into the looney bin, spring makes an appearance long enough for me to grab our wind breakers and race out the door. The fresh air and sunshine does wonders, doesn't it?! 
The past week has been lovely here in Portland. I can only imagine it gets much better during full-fledged summer. We're finally out of the woods, and I can safely say we survived our first Nor'easter n winter.
The kids have enjoyed it just as much, if not much more, than I have. Portland has dozens of hidden trails throughout the city to explore. After grocery shopping today, I noticed a trail head across the street, so we decided to check it out. It was nice and short, and had a old rock stair way that the kids loved to explore. The leisurely walk for me becomes a bear-hunt adventure for Hinder. It's a win-win. 
Since our guests have left, we've gotten back to a normal routine of church duties, preschool, work, and pharmacy school. I started an after school camp called Fraction Action! at a nearby elementary school that keeps things interesting(... as interesting as fractions can be), and Riley has just a few weeks of classes left before he starts his summer preceptor. He's headed into a brutal finals schedule, so we're looking forward to a good weekend with him before we say adios until May 10th. He's a trooper, and these two semesters have really gone fast.

The kids are growing and becoming better friends. Vyla exercises her lungs often, shrieking "no" and "stop" and "ouch" whenever Hinder comes near, even if no contact is made. But they are just as quick to make each other giggle and be silly, so it evens out. Hinder has a few weeks left of his preschool co-op, and then we'll start home-school preschool through the summer. I figure I have to give this some serious attention this summer while we have a little more flexibility in our schedule. I'm excited for the one-on-one time with H. And very excited to have loads more family time and opportunity to explore New England. 

But in the nearer future- we have a busy weekend coming up! Between now and Sunday we have...
A baptism to attend
Aunt Gretchin coming to visit
Celebrating Riley's 29th birthday
Date night pizza party with Hinder
Dinner date with my sweet for our 7th anniversary

Can't wait! 

No comments: