Friday, May 3, 2013

Seven Years and a Golden Birthday

 Last weekend was a big one! April 29th was our seventh anniversary and Riley's golden birthday! He turned 29 on the 29th. We knew Monday would be a wash with school and finals studying, so we celebrated over the weekend.
 Riley's Aunt Gretchin came for a visit on Saturday. We explored Bug Light park together and she watched the kids (saint!) while we went to dinner for our anniversary. Leisurely eating dinner together, enjoying an actual conversation, and never uttering the words "please sit down and eat your food" to a pair of munchkins...it was bliss!  It's nice to feel like we're newlyweds sometimes...talking about our dream house, a ten-year cruise, laughing, and looking each other in the eye. I'm grateful.
 We set Sunday aside for the birthday thing. Hinder decorated the cake and make the cutest back massage car shirt I've ever seen. It's a car carpet on the back of a shirt. He was so excited to give it to him, and I was quite impressed it stayed a secret. Riley opened a nice stack of birthday cards and read sweet messages on the hammock that afternoon. It was memorable. 
The BEST part of his golden day?! I actually kept his gift a secret! That's never happened. But I was determined. I wanted it to be a big deal since it's a big day, and more importantly, because this year has been straining on Mr. Hurst (to say the least). So I got him a trip to Mt Hood in Oregon to ski with his best pals. He teared up a little when he opened it. Success!
 
 All in all, it was a calm, chill, family-oriented celebration. Sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered.
 (H and Y sharing a snack at the Fort Williams park)
 A lot has changed in seven years! We've completed 5 moves, one of them across the country. We've lived in two states, three cities. We've created two little people that take all our time and energy and turned us from "Ri" and "Des" into "mom" and "dad". Perfection would not describe us, and we've certainly had our ups and downs. He puts up with my planning, demanding, list making, and inability to screw any lid on completely. And I put up with his quirks. We've got a good thing going.
I love this man. Today more than yesterday.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What a perfectly written post! Congrats guys! I know you have many more years to come together!