Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spontaneous in Seattle

I'll just cut to the chase. Our trip to Europe was cancelled. No surprise really. Kind of a big pain in the ash though....hahaha. (I blame the late hour and twenty-six hours of driving for my lame sense of humor right now)
But from the ashes grow the roses of success.... (name that movie!)
We decided to make the most of our situation and spend a few days in Seattle on an impromptu vacation. This is very unusual for us. Spend fifteen seconds with me and you'll know that impromptu doesn't describe me. Organized, anal, detail-oriented, OCD, yes. Spontaneous, no.
But I digress...
Turns out that spontaneity can work on occasion. A quick highlight reel of our mini-vacay:
(in list form, of course.)
1. After arriving at the realization that were would be swapping Danish pastries for Starbucks, we climbed aboard the link light rail train to head downtown. This little tram was our dearest friend.


2. We stumbled upon Safeco Field where the Seattle Mariners baseball team plays. It just so happened that there was a game that night.


(side note: Riley's first professional baseball game. I felt like a seasoned veteran in comparison)

3. The Art! Seattle is full of beautiful murals on every building wall and unique sculptures.

This sculpture is on the Seattle Center grounds.

These eye balls doubled as benches. Straight from a Tim Burton movie.

4. Of course, the Space Needle. Riley went a bit crazy with the scenic pictures. I'll spare you. You're welcome.


5. Lesson learned in the Seattle Aquarium= Marine life is strange. I've never seen such bizarre looking creatures in my life. Can you tell which was our favorite?




6. The Science Fiction Museum a.k.a. Geeks R Us. This place was busting at the seams with
Sci-Fi paraphernalia. Secretly, I loved every second of it.


Even the museum architecture was out of this world.
(I feel stand-up comedy is in my near future)




7. The Experience Music Project was housed in the same building as the Sci-Fi exhibits. This place was awesome. We regret we only had an hour to spend here. Four or five would have been more realistic.



Cool tidbit. There was an entire room full of individual studios that patrons were allowed to enter and try out EVERY rock instrument. Even vocals. Riley was like a kid in a candy store with this drum set.
8. Pacific Science Center. This place rocked my socks. It is a teacher's paradise for ideas and inspirations. And Riley didn't mind it either.




9. Last stop- Woodland Park Zoo. Trust me, this place does not disappoint.





10. The Best Highlight of ALL! Spending three days and two nights alone. Just us two.


BIG thanks to my parents and family for taking Hinder for a few days so we could enjoy one another again!

4 comments:

Lorie Hurst said...

What a cute picture! I'm glad you made a mini vacation and it wasn't a complete bust. Destry I love the humor! Pain in the ash is my favorite!

Laurel Criddle said...

Looks amazing! You hit everything great in Seattle! Europe? Wowsers! Hopefully you can rain check....or ash check that for another time. Looks like a great impromptu getaway anyway!

Katy said...

oh hippo, i heart it!

i could just FEEL the excitement from here over the drums and the science center... complete and utter joy!!!!

glad you had such a fun time despite it all!!!!

Tina Braegger said...

haha you crack me up. That looks like so much fun! Glad you got to go somewhere even though your big plans got ruined. You two are way too cute! Love it! Yay to no waking up in the middle of the night and just being able to sit, watch Tv and cuddle in a hotel room!!!! haha!! :)