Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mother

When I think of my mother, I remember...




How she would practice the piano at night after we had gone to bed. The piano was in her preschool room that was near my bedroom window. The sound travelled right to me. It was like my own private lullaby.


Her words of wisdom whenever we had a big day or performance. She would give me the "channel the nervous energy" speech. Generally, it worked out.


During the summers, she would plan day trips around our rural town to give us a break from the usual. We would hike to Wild horse Monument or visit the Whitman Massacre museum. Even in high school, I loved going on these outings.


No matter how angry or frustrated she was with us, and no matter how loud she had just yelled, she would always answer the telephone with a sing-songy "hello"


She fills her life with things she enjoys. Singing, music, teaching, theater, reading, history...the list goes on.


And mostly, I remember that she did EVERYTHING for us kids. Like most mothers, she made huge sacrifices for the benefit of her family. She still does. I just adore my mom.


Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: