Tuesday, September 9, 2014

It's a Midwest Thang

Omaha was the next stop on our cross country adventure.Nebraska was a new state for us on this trip, and the first thing we did is what the kids always wanted to do. Swim at the hotel pool.
 That evening we were able to see the Winter Quarters Temple and memorials on the temple grounds.
 The kids really enjoyed the Mormon Trail Center and learning about pioneer life and their trek to Utah. It was cool to compare their journey west to ours. I can't believe their faith and endurance!
Any place that lets them push around a handcart is a winner! 
 The next morning we headed straight to the Omaha Zoo, one of the top ten largest zoos in the world. It was large enough that we opted to take the tram around at times rather than just walk. The exhibits were beautiful and the kids loved it. Unfortunately, our trip landed on a Saturday so it was BUSY with patrons and after 4 hours we called it good and got on our way to Nauvoo, Illinois.
 I was so excited to show Nauvoo to Riley, who didn't come with me the time I came for the Killian Family Reunion. It was just like I remembered, as it was almost the exact same time of year. My aunt Joanna and her family live there and hooked us up with a comfortable condo where they work. If you are ever going to Nauvoo, stay at Nauvoo Villas. They are seriously the best place for a weary traveler. We loved every minute and only regret that it was a short three days!
 The kids loved the Family Learning Center and learning how to make their own rope. The senior missionaries were so patient and kind with my rambunctious kids!
 Vyla wasn't very sure about getting near the oxen, but she warmed up after we took a little ride around the yard.
 Seeing how little pioneer children had and the fun they made for themselves with simple toys was eye-opening for the kids and us parents.
 Cute pioneer girl!
 Ledger would have fit right into a pioneer family, he entertained himself the entire time with just the bark. ;)
 The highlight for me was being able to go through Carthage Jail and see the place where the Prophet Joseph Smith gave his life for the gospel and the church. (to learn more about who Joseph Smith was and what he did go here). There was an amazing spirit in that room, one that I will never forget. I'm so grateful to my Aunt Joanna for watching our kids so Riley and I could experience this tour together!
 Our next midwest stop was St. Louis.  Missouri was a state I had never been in. I was nervous about coming here because it was in the midst of the Ferguson riots, but I'm so glad we did. Our two night stay was AWESOME. This city is beautiful and clean, the food knocked my socks off, and **double bonus**, I got to see my sweet childhood friend, Julee Walker Heslop, and hang out with her awesome family.
 Julee met us at the awesome Science Center, which I cannot believe was totally free. Unbelievable. The kids loved it and Riley loves places like this too! No surprise these kids found dinosaurs to get pictures with. haha
 The St. Louis temple was beautiful!
 And the Arch was pretty awe inspiring. We walked from our hotel downtown to the Arch and I was seriously impressed with out clean St. Louis is!
 And I was taken aback at the size of the Arch. I guess I thought it was more the scale of...a house? It was massive!
 The Heslops treated us to the best St. Louis BBQ ever and a little Ted Drewes custard. We wish we lived closer to those fun friends!! Our night ended the same way most night in a hotel ended this summer.
 Swimming, jumping on the bed, and watching a cartoon. This picture pretty much sums up the summer.

No comments: