More Preschool Updates
Week 6: 5 Food Groups
Hinder needed this lesson, and I guess I never realized we hadn't discussed why it's important to eat certain foods and go easy on others. We did a lot with the food pyramid, made 5 food group mini pizzas, and read lots of food related books. He's actually been doing better about eating fruits and vegetables since this week. Praise the heavens! (by "better" I mean he'll eat a leaf of lettuce and a few carrot sticks. Little improvements...)
One favorite was constructing a paper pizza puzzle. He made the pizza, I turned it into a puzzle, and he had fun putting it back together again. It was just challenging enough.
One phonics activity this week was assembling a "silly salad". The focus was on the /s/ sound. He had to cut pictures from his workbook that started with 's' to go on the "silly salad". He thought it was pretty funny to put a scarf and sock in a salad. The smallest things entertain a 4 year old!
And of course, we read the Vegetable Man poem and made a veggie man out of paper. I remember making this with my mom when I was a little girl!
Week 7: Five Senses
During this theme, we focused on one of the senses each day. Activities ranged from listening to sound clips from YouTube and trying to guess what they are, doing a hot/cold touch experiment, smelling tests of different spices, and lots more! Thanks to my mother, preschool teacher extraordinaire, for hooking me up with lots of fun ideas.
As a science experiment, we experimented with the different tones that glasses of water will make when filled to different levels. We tried to play a song, but that didn't go as well!


As an activity for 'touch', Hinder played with clay and followed a book that guided him in making different clay creations. This was probably his favorite activity of the week. He's asked to do it again and again ever since.
Caterpillar
Tiny duckling
Snail

Lots of fun and learning going on at our house this summer!




No comments:
Post a Comment