Saturday, November 16, 2013

Counting Our Blessings

 Like most people this time of year, my thoughts have turned toward the multitude of blessings and reason to be thankful I see in my life. There are so many, and sometimes I just feel overwhelmed that I've been given so much. Of course, if I let myself, I can easily think of 10-15 things that aren't going my way right now, but with just a little effort, I'm reminded there is just so much GOOD in my life that I don't deserve.
So here is my Top Ten Thing I'm Most Grateful for Now- In the Fall of 2013. The things that, as of late, bring me a feeling of genuine gratitude. 
1. Where are now. I mean physically where we live. If I had the challenges I have today, just last fall, I feel like it might have overpowered me. Or I at least would have been popping a few more Prozac. Living in the city limits of Portland had it's benefits, but as a introverted person, it was draining. The open space of where we are is like therapy for me, and I can't help but think someone knew I would need this and helped it come true.

2. Vyla. Of course, I love each of my children. But lately this girl brings a lot of smiles everyday. She brings lots of tantrums, messes, and meltdowns...but I feel like she's my kindred female spirit in this house full of boys. I'm grateful she has wild hair and a raspy voice. I delight in how tough she is with Hinder and the neighbor boy. I feel gratitude that she's capable of doing a lot of her own, but still wants to be obedient and helpful.  I love that her smile, over simple things reaches to her giant eyes and turns them into half moons. And I love that she's forming broken sentences and telling me about the world around her. I hope she continues to mispronounce the /k/ sound with /ch/ for a few more months, because it's cute to hear her ask to "read a booch", listen to "moosich", or fix things when they don't "worch".
 3. The generosity and thoughtful gestures of our ward friends has been so appreciated. The meals, flowers, and gifts for the new baby always seem to come at the right time.  The small acts of service, a phone call, email, or play date for the kids eases my burden significantly. Thank you!

4. General Conference talks. I missed listening live, but listen while I nurse to the podcast. Especially President Uchtorf's talk from the Priesthood session. It's literally modern day scripture for me! (to listen for yourself, go here)

 5. Hinder. He's offers the closest thing to adult conversation that I get on most days. And it's not too shabby. He's inquisitive and excited about small things, which helps me notice the wonder in the everyday. And I'm so grateful for the help he gives me with V- especially in the mornings when I just need 15-20 more minutes with my eyes closed before another day starts. I appreciate that lately I've heard more "yes mamas" and a few less outbursts when he doesn't immediately get his way. (I'm knocking on wood as I type this...)
 6. I'm grateful that for the past month or more, I've watched the sun rise over the ocean. I have a perfect view from the armchair in the nursery, and little Ledge makes certain I never miss it. It's fantastic, and without a morning wake up call I might never had chosen to get up and see it for myself.

7. I'm grateful for morning walks around a beautiful neighborhood. For the stroller and carriers that fit the kids just right, the length of the path, and the beautiful area that interests them, as well as makes me feel like I've stepped into a novel or magazine. Never mind I'm always making this walk with second day (or third, fourth, fifth...) day hair and sweatpants.
(pics from our most recent walk down Winslow Homer road)
 8. Family. And getting so see family soon! Our parents are flying us home for an almost four wonderful weeks at home. Our feet are itching for western soil, and honestly...the thought of another round of holidays with our mamas and papas was too much for me. Riley and I have pillow talks about how wonderful it will be to do the simple things at home...look at mountains, shoot hoops with the sibs, sleep under the same roof, play a round of cards, etc. We're extremely blessed to get to see these people sooner than we ever anticipated. 
9. Riley. He works really hard, and we don't see him much, but how grateful I am that he IS hardworking and he DOES put the time into getting the grades that will lead to graduation. 

10. And lastly, how GRATEFUL I am for a snuggly, healthy baby! One that is recently smiling and keeping his little eyes open. It's hard work, but anything worth anything is work. Our little Ledger is loved! I'm thankful that he's here and that he's a constant reminder of keeping my priorities straight. 

Lastly, it's evident to me that keeping an attitude of gratitude truly makes all the difference. Now, how to remember this all year long and not just in November!?

No comments: