Back to Copenhagen....
Statues and sculptures are abundant throughout the city. One of the most interesting parts of the trip was seeing things that were so OLD. I mean, if marble and plaster could talk...?!
Crazy to look upon a World War II Memorial that stands for soldiers fighting for the Nazi cause?! But really, I admire Denmark's role in WWII. Look it up, it's inspirational.
Think White Witch from Narnia, no?!
So old, decrepit, and haunting! This represents the Grim Reaper with an infant in his arms and the distraught mother in a heap below him. You can't tell from the picture, but his expression is so sorrowful. I never thought I could be so moved by a piece of copper.
Most of the sculptures we saw were in the Thorvaldsen Museum, famous Danish sculptor. They were all so massive! I can't comprehend the time and patience (not to mention, raw talent) required to construct these works of art.
Nicholas Copernicus, mathematician and astronomy who proposed the theory of a sun-centered universe. Pretty brilliant guy.
Hercules
Original plaster and marble busts of Homer, poet who wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey.
One part of the great hall in the museum.
Now, for the best and most meaningful statues we saw. Thorvaldsen was the sculptor, but these marble sculptures stand in Our Ladies Church.
Seeing the original Christus and Apostles statues was a monumental moment for me.
A little background- each apostle is holding or represented with an object that has special significance in their lives. Usually, the weapon with which they were killed.
I have a greater appreciation for the sacrifices that were made by faithful Christians long ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment