Something You Crave Alot
Oh cravings. My arch nemesis. I have battled many a craving. Usually, for me they come in waves. Like when I was addicted to snickers cake for about nine months (thanks Hinder). My thighs have never been the same. Then there was the sandwich cookie fiasco of last year... full sleeves of Golden Oreos gone in the blink of an eye. I shame myself.
Though out the years, there's only ONE thing that remains consistent in my ebbing food preferences.
CHINESE FOOD!
I can't help myself. I dream about moo shu recipes and different ways to stir fry.
My brief stint working at a Chinese restaurant in college didn't help my obsession.
It only opened my eyes to more Asian dishes to love.
Wonton Soup! It's more comforting than the traditional chicken noodle and the ginger is perfect for curbing nausea. (That justifies eating four bowls in one sitting right??)
Anytime I've ever been in a mall food court, and my family heads off to Sbarro or Ivar's, I can be seen making a beeline for the shady looking Chinese joint.
Chinese New Year is celebrated religiously at my house. Let me clarify that I have not one drop of Asian blood in my body. The holiday is simply about the excuse to eat this food!
And my one life's goal is to convert my husband to the joys of Asian eating. When I mention heading over to the local Fong's restaurant, he turns up his nose.
Well, if I can't convince him, maybe I can convince you. Here's one of my favorite Chinese recipes. Easy, not a lot of ingredients. Enjoy!
Sesame Chicken Wraps
4 T. soy sauce
4T. brown sugar
1 T. cornstarch
2 cups chicken breast, sliced in strips
1 T. butter
4 T. sesame seeds
2 T. sesame oil (I like to use a spicy oil, adds a little kick)
Butter lettuce leaves (or iceberg if you wanna save a few pennies)
1. Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl; pour over chicken strips, stir to coat. Set aside.
2. In a frying pan, melt butter over low heat. Add seeds and cook until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
3. In same skillet, heat oil over med. heat. Stir fry chicken in the heated oil until cooked through. Combine seeds into chicken.
4. Place a spoonful of the mixture into the center of each lettuce leaf. Fold the lettuce into a wrap to be eaten by hand.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go place a to-go order for some of this deliciousness. And then check myself into the nearest Chinese Food Eaters Anonymous group.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go place a to-go order for some of this deliciousness. And then check myself into the nearest Chinese Food Eaters Anonymous group.




2 comments:
I would love to know more about snickers cake!!!
YUM, I cannot choose a favorite food. If you love Chinese, I'm sure you would fall hard for Thai, Vietnemese and Japanese. Living in Bellevue makes it easy to try lots of Asian food. Thanks for that recipe! I'll be definitely making it soon.
Post a Comment