Friday, June 11, 2010

Danish Castles

Denmark is littered with castles. Here are four of my favorite.
Kronborg Castle
It sits on the very tip of Zealand, staring down Sweden. Shakespeare's play, Hamlet, is based on this historic castle.



Rosenborg Castle
It lies smack dab in the middle of downtown Copenhagen and is bustling with people. Its makes up for it's small size with bling. Unfortunately, our camera battery died, so we didn't get many picture of this beauty. BUT we did get the most important part; the crown jewels.

The castle grounds were covered with Danes enjoying the sunshine.

Amalienborg Palace
The residence of the Queen Margaret.


Changing of the Guards


I can't take them seriously in those outfits.


Riley and I had several conversations about how one chooses to become a royal guard. It seems strange. Would you need formal training? Or is it more of a 9-5 thing? Is it an honor or a joke? Like being a mall cop?

Amalieonborg Palace Church

And my Absolute Favorite....
Frederiksborg Castle







Amazing, right?!
The pictures don't do it justice. It's overwhelming in reality.
The castle houses the Danish Museum of National History.
There are treasures inside those walls, I tell you what!




These shields are awarded as the highest Danish honor. We didn't know most of the recipients, but here are a few we did recognize.

Nelson Mandela

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Winston Churchill

First Danish flag. Not the replica. The actual thing.
I was terrified my breathing we make it crumble to bits.


Constellation Map





Cozy, don't you think?
I'm not sure I could sleep with all the cherubs staring at me.
Proof of my lack of royal blood, I'm sure.

The extensive castle gardens





3 comments:

janica said...

wahoo, i've been waiting for trip pics! looked like fun!

Katy said...

WOW!!!! WOOOOOW!!! Amazing! Those Danes can do some intricate crap! Everything is so detailed and extravagant. Love it!!! Great pics- love the castles! Oh and your dress is super super cute.

i cracked up at your inner monologue over the Guards- hilarity!! Mall cops!

I love reading your commentary- you're friggin funny!

oh and those beds are insane!!! Napoleon Bonaparte's bed was like that too- grossly overwrought with gold, jewels, singing doves, dancing penguins, naked baby cherubs, etc. etc. yikes, man.

oh how i love seeing a new part of the world all while sitting here in my sweats! thanks for sharing Denmark with us!!!

Jon, Julee, Maddie, & Dane said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing all these gorgeous pictures. Makes me really want to visit now, but first I'll need to get some cute sun dresses as well. Tell me more about the Danish pasteries. Are they really all Jon claims?